November 12, 2025, 3:45 pm | Read time: 3 minutes
For more than three decades, it stood as a silent witness to itself–the TV tower in the Dresden Elbe Valley. Once a proud symbol of East Germany, it later became an abandoned lookout point, symbolizing bygone times. Now, however, its future is taking shape again, and a concrete timeline offers hope for a reopening soon.
The TV tower was opened on October 7, 1969, and was architecturally unique. Its elegant, upward-flaring design was created by architects Kurt Nowotny, Herrmann Rühle, and Johannes Braune. Their designs were apparently inspired by a very special model: a champagne glass is said to have provided the inspiration for its appearance.
In the past, there was a restaurant with a panoramic view at a height of 145 meters. Two high-speed elevators transported guests to the top in just 25 seconds. Around 200,000 visitors per year took the opportunity to enjoy the view of Dresden, the Elbe Valley, and Saxon Switzerland.
But in 1991, it was over: The tower was closed and fell into a decades-long slumber. Only its technical use was maintained.
Dresden TV Tower to Attract Visitors Again
Now, the iconic structure is set to become a visitor magnet once more. The Dresden city council had already paved the way for the TV tower’s revival in the summer of 2019. And now, the design planning for this has been completed. This brings the next step closer: Construction could start this year. If everything goes according to plan, visitors could ride the elevator to the top again starting in 2030.
On Tuesday morning, Saxony’s Prime Minister Michael Kretschmer and Dresden’s Mayor Dirk Hilbert, according to a report by BILD, jointly climbed the tower–amid dense fog and a brief ray of sunshine over the Elbe, which seemed almost symbolic.
“Many Dresden residents associate the TV tower with memories of childhood, family, and home,” Kretschmer said. “Its reopening is a heartfelt concern for our city.” Hilbert also emphasized the emotional significance of the site: “A place where city history meets individual memory.” Although he did not specify an exact opening date, he said 2030 is realistic.

Construction of the World’s Largest Building Halted!
Tim Raue Opens Germany’s Highest Restaurant
Million-Euro Project with Joint Financing
The reactivation of the TV tower is a million-euro project. The estimated costs amount to 25.6 million euros. The financing is to be shared: The federal government will cover half of the sum, while the Free State of Saxony and the state capital Dresden will share the other half.
Later this year, the owner, Deutsche Funkturm GmbH, plans to submit a corresponding funding application. The goal is to create the conditions for the construction phase as soon as possible.
What Exactly Is Planned
The future operation will be managed by Fernsehturm Dresden GmbH, which aims to breathe new life into the structure–with modern technology and a concept that bridges the past and future.
A digital experience world is specifically planned: LED films on the windows are intended to merge virtual and real views. This way, the tower will not only nostalgically recall earlier times but also shine as a modern attraction above the rooftops of Dresden. Whether a gastronomic concept is also planned is not yet known.